With the award ceremony just having concluded in Carriageworks’ Millennium Room in Central Leeds this evening, we’re excited to be able to announce the winners of the 4th Annual British Comic Awards!
After the BCA Committee – of which I’m immensely proud to be a member – put together the shortlist, the final winners were decided by a panel of judges made up of Art Brut frontman and comic creator Eddie Argos, Canadian cartoonist and creator of Hark, a Vagrant Kate Beaton, director and screenwriter Jonathan Entwistle, proprietor of independent comic shop Page 45 (also the official sponsors of the awards as a whole) Stephen L Holland, and spoken word poet and hip hop recording artist Scroobius Pip.
So, without any further ago, let’s get to the winners;
BEST COMIC AWARD
(Sponsored by Awesome Merchandise)
- Grey Area: From the City to the Sea – Tim Bird (Avery Hill Publishing) – WINNER
- Beast Wagon – Owen Michael Johnson, John Pearson and Colin Bell (Self published)
- Hand Me Down – Kristyna Baczynski (Self published)
- Lost Property – Andy Poyiadgi (Nobrow)
- Strip – Sarah Gordon (Self published)
BEST BOOK AWARD
- The Motherless Oven – Rob Davis (SelfMadeHero) – WINNER
- Comic Book Slumber Party: Fairytales for Bad Bitches – Hannah Chapman (Editor); Stephanie Ayres, Sarah Burgess, Emma Carlisle, Lucie Ebrey, Enoki, Lize Meddings, Becca Tobin, Donya Todd, Alice Urbino and Jenn Woodall (Self published)
- Supercrash: How to Hijack the Global Economy – Darryl Cunningham (Myriad Editions)
- The Rabbit – Rachael Smith (Avery Hill Publishing)
- Tim Ginger – Julian Hanshaw (Top Shelf)
YOUNG PEOPLE’S COMIC AWARD
(In partnership with Leeds Libraries)
- Star Cat Book 01 – James Turner (David Fickling Books) – WINNER
- Cindy and Biscuit Vol 1: We Love Trouble – Dan White (Self published/Milk the Cat Comics)
- Gary’s Garden Book 1 – Gary Northfield (David Fickling Books)
- Ghost Cat’s Pedigree Chums – Craig Conlan (Self published)
- Maleficium – EdieOP (Avery Hill Publishing)
EMERGING TALENT AWARD
- Rachael Stott (Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor (SDCC Exclusive), Star Trek #46 and #47, Star Trek/Planet of the Apes #1-5) – WINNER
- Sarah Graley (Our Super Adventure, Pizza Witch, Rent Quest)
- Matt Taylor (The Great Salt Lake, Wolf #1 and #2)
- Adam Vian (Long Lost Lempi, Snippets: Extracts from 4 comics that don’t Exist)
- Christian Ward (ODY-C Volume 1, ODY-C #6)
Finally, the second half of the evening saw the iconic creator of Desperate Dan, Oor Wullie and The Broons, Dudley D. Watkins, become the fourth inductee in the BCA Hall of Fame.
BCA Chairman Adam Cadwell ran down Watkins’ career from beginning to end, showcasing some impressive original artwork from the DC Thomson archives and translating Oor Wullie (“Our Willie”) and The Broons (“The Browns”) for the non-Scottish in attendance.