From the September 2018 IDW Publishing solicitations, we’ve picked out five new titles that already have us eagerly counting down the days until their release. And with crossovers, remastered editions of classic stories and the return of a certain iconic detective, there’s likely to be something here to appeal to anyone’s tastes.
Check it out, and let us know what one you’re most excited about.
Batman/The Maxx #1 (of 5)
Writer(s): John Layman & Sam Kieth
Artwork: Sam Kieth
Batman must face the strangest and most bizarre adventure of his career, as he meets comics’ strangest and most bizarre hero… THE MAXX! IDW and DC Comics proudly present the most surreal, quirky, and wonderful crossover of all time!
A devious new doctor at Arkham Asylum is conducting unconventional experiments into the human psyche, and he kicks off a chain reaction of disaster when he experiments on Arkham’s newest patient, The Maxx! The city of Gotham is starting to merge with The Maxx’s psychedelic mental landscape, known as the Outback, blurring the line between real and unreal. It’s up to Batman to save not just Gotham, but all of reality, and he and The Maxx are going to have to travel through some of the darkest places imaginable—the twisted minds of Batman’s greatest enemies!
Join Batman and The Maxx on an off-kilter and unforgettable romp through the diabolical consciousnesses of Batman’s greatest foes. Legendary artist Sam Kieth (Sandman, Wolverine) returns to his greatest creation, The Maxx, and returns to Gotham as well, assisted by multi-Eisner Award-winning writer John Layman (Detective, Chew).
FC • 32 pages • $4.99
- First new The Maxx story in more than a decade!
- Ask your retailer how to get the Jim Lee variant cover!
From Hell: Master Edition #1
Writer: Alan Moore
Artist: Eddie Campbell
Jack is back—and this time, the blood is red.
“My all-time favorite graphic novel… an immense, majestic work about the Jack the Ripper murders, the dark Victorian world they happen in, and the birth of the 20th century.”—Warren Ellis, Entertainment Weekly
Experience FROM HELL as never seen before: fully restored and in color for the first time!
Five unsolved murders. Two of the greatest creators in the history of comics. One sprawling conspiracy, one metropolis on the brink of the 20th century, and one bloody-minded Ripper ushering London into the modern age of terror. The award-winning bestseller FROM HELL, often ranked among the greatest graphic novels of all time, takes on haunting new dimensions in FROM HELL: The Master Edition, enhanced with impressionistic hues by Eddie Campbell himself.
FC • 64 pages • $7.99
- This volume contains the prologue, chapters 1 and 2, and all the original annotations!
- Co-published by Top Shelf Productions (US) and Knockabout (UK)!
Star Trek vs. Transformers #1 (of 4)
Writer(s): John Barber & Mike Johnson
Artwork: Philip Murphy
The Transformers ‘80s cartoon series meets Star Trek: The Animated Series in a no-holds-barred Saturday Morning mash-up for the ages!
At the edge of Klingon space, the Starship Enterprise finds there’s more to the final frontier than meets the eye, when Kirk and his crew come face to face with the strangest life forms of all: Cybertronians! This unprecedented crossover brings together two of the greatest science fiction universes of all time—in the style of their classic animated series! A five-year mission meets a four-million-year war!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
- Written by two titans of their respective properties, John Barber (Optimus Prime, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Prequel) and Mike Johnson (the most prolific Star Trek comic book writer of ALL TIME!)!
- Philip Murphy’s A & B covers connect to form an amazing heroes and villains image!
- Don’t miss two amazing R.I. covers from Paulina Ganucheau (Zodiac Starforce, Shade the Changing Girl) and Eisner Award-winning artist Derek Charm!
Impossible Inc. #1 (of 5)
Writer: J.M. DeMatteis
Artist: Mike Cavallaro
Join 17-year-old Number Horowitz as she and her team board a cosmic train called the Non-Local Express, riding across the quantum sea and into the Infinite Spiral that leads to other worlds, new dimensions, parallel universes and through time itself. Impossible, Incorporated is the tale of a teenage girl with extraordinary abilities, seeking the truth about the universe—and her own mysterious past!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
- Written by Eisner winner J.M. DeMatteis (JLA, The Amazing Spider-Man)
- With art by Mike Cavallaro (Ben 10 Omniverse, Cartoon Network Action Pack)!
- Variant cover by Mike Cavallaro!
Dick Tracy: Dead or Alive #1 (of 4)
Writer(s): Lee & Michael Allred
Artwork: Rich Tommaso & Michael Allred
Colours: Laura Allred (co)
IDW Publishing proudly presents the rebirth of one the most iconic comic-strip heroes of all time, Dick Tracy! The All-American detective just made the biggest collar of his career, and it only cost him his job! But now the honest cop has packed his bags for “the city by the lake,” and its criminals better watch out! Reimagined for the 21st century through a retro lens by the superstar team of Michael Allred, Lee Allred, Rich Tommaso, and Laura Allred, Dick Tracy: Dead or Alive is a lock to be the pop-art event of 2018!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
- Bizarre villains! Crooked cops! Gunfights galore!
- Cover art and co-written by Eisner Award-winning superstar Michael Allred (Madman, iZombie, Silver Surfer, Batman ‘66)!
- Illustrated by Rich Tommaso (Spy Seal, Dry County) with Michael Allred inks!
- Each issue features a “mug shot” alternate cover by Rich Tommaso!
- Ask your retailer about the “coloring book” variant cover by Michael Allred!
- Ask your retailer about the ultra-rare Mike Oeming variant cover!